image courtesy:Deccan Chronicle

Two jawans were martyred in unprovoked firing by Pakistan this morning and their bodies were mutilated, the army has said, warning of “appropriate response” for the “despicable act.”

Condemning the Pakistan army’s actions, the Indian Army promised swift retaliation.

“Such despicable act of Pakistan Army will be appropriately responded,” the Northern Command statement said.

The soldiers who were killed,an army jawan and a constable of the Border Security Force ,were part of a team on patrol between two forward posts in the Krishna Ghati sector of Poonch district, Jammu and Kashmir,along the Line of Control that were attacked by Pakistan, said the Northern Command in a press statement.

“Pak army carried out unprovoked rocket and mortar firing on two forward posts on the Line of Control in Krishna Ghati Sector… Simultaneously a BAT (border action team — an amalgam of terrorists and Pakistan army regulars) action was launched on a patrol operating between the two posts. In an unsoldierly act by the Pak army, the bodies of two of our soldiers in the patrol were mutilated,” the statement said.


Earlier, army sources identified Naib subedar Paramjit Singh, a junior commissioned officer (JCO), and Border Security Force head constable Prem Sagar as the dead.

Two other BSF soldiers on patrol with them survived.BSF head constable Prem Sagar belongs to Deoria district in UP. One of the injured was identified as BSF constable Rajender Kumar, while the identity of the fourth trooper, who received minor injuries, is yet to be revealed.

At about 08:30 am, there was heavy firing from Pakistani (army) posts at BSF posts at LoC in Krishnagati sector of Poonch district with rockets and automatic weapons, identifying Pakistan’s 647 Mujahid Battalion deployed on the forward defence line as the source.

Four rounds of rocket-propelled grenades and three to four bursts of automatic weapons were fired on Kripan-1, manned by the BSF’s 200 Battalion.

Indian troopers at Kripan-1 retaliated with automatic weapons at 8.40am, officials said. The firing lasted till 9am.

Today’s developments will add to the seething tension between India and Pakistan at a time when an Indian national, Kulbhushan Jadhav, has been sentenced to death by a Pakistani army court which convicted him of espionage. India has denied the accusations; diplomats have been denied access to Mr Jadhav, a former naval officer, more than 15 times. Pakistan says he was arrested last year in the restive province of Balochistan and has been established as an operative of RAW or the Research and Analysis Wing, India’s intelligence agency.

Pakistani troops breached the truce along the Line of Control in Poonch and Rajouri district seven times last month.

They violated the ceasefire in Poonch district on April 19 and shelled mortars on forward posts in Nowshera sector on April 17.

In September last year, Indian troops crossed the Line of Control and targeted launchpads used by terrorists in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. The army, revealing the operation, said it was necessary because terrorists were planning to enter India and launch attacks on major cities. The surgical strikes were direct military response for the deadly attack a few weeks earlier on the army base in Uri, where an assault by Pakistani terrorists killed 19 military personnel.